Bhakti Yoga is known as Japa Yoga or Yoga of Devotion & Prayers. This is considered the easiest path of self-realisation or enlightenment. Therefore, A practitioner of bhakti yoga surrenders himself/herself towards god through kirtan, sat sang, prayers & chanting, jape or certain ritualistic workshop (Bhagwat Katha, Sundar Kand). This path of self-realization aims towards Moksha (highest state of yoga).
Dedicated aspirants of Bhakti Yoga will eventually come to experience god as the embodiment of love. In addition, The Bhagavat Purana, a classical text dedicated to Bhakti, presents nine practices of devotion. Consequently, We can each create a devotional atmosphere within our life by employing the 9 steps of Bhakti as expounded by this authoritative text.
- Listening (shravana)—hearing the stories and divine sports of god
- Singing/Chanting (kirtana)—reciting the name of god and his glories
- Remembrance (smarana)—remembrance of the presence of God throughout daily activities
- Service at the feet (pada sevana)—dedication of all thoughts and actions to the service of humanity, honoring the feet of God in all
- Ritualistic worship (arcana)—step by step worship of God through ceremonies and rituals
- Prostration (vandana)—prostration to God
- Servant attitude (dasya)—adopting the attitude of service
- Friendship (sakhya)—befriending the Lord
- Self-offering (atma-nivedana)—complete surrender of yourself
In “ARCHANA”, the ritualistic act of devotion does not necessarily mean performing a series of rituals or havans to please god. Therefore, the highest type of ritual performed is an act of charity. Additionally “remembrance” is something that lies at the heart of devotion. This is constantly in practice with along with these further steps:
- Taking time each day to commune with God through the form of prayer or simple conversation
- Singing the glories of God
- Chanting or repeating a mantra for your chosen deity
- Studying classical Bhakti texts like the Bhagavat Purana, Ramayana,or Narad Bhakti Sutras
- Turning every experience into an opportunity of worship by serving others as a divine manifestation of God.
in conclusion, we sometime decide to strengthen a relationship with someone and we do take special steps to do this. Therefore, we may decide to spend more time with that person, get to know them better through conversation, attending special functions with them, taking trips or doing special activities with them. As a result, each of these steps fortifies the bonding process between that person and us.